Springville Journal The History of Our School

Disclaimer:

Rather than being an exhaustive archive, this compilation was meant to be more of a “greatest hits” piece of memorabilia. To digitally record all the districts photos would have taken months if not years to do, and was beyond the scope of the 175th Anniversary celebration. Photos were selected based upon quality, how interesting they were, and how well they reflected the diverse nature of our community.

It should be noted that the archives had more pictures of some decades than others. Yearbooks were of some help, but for some decades, such as the 1930’s, very few pictures were present. We wanted to give an interesting portrayal of the district’s rich history, one that is both entertaining and educational.

Acknowledgements:

This project would not have been possible without the generous support of former S-GI teacher Don Orton, who provided valuable insight into the background of certain pictures. Middle school students Ryan Barber, Katie Frank, Jamie Reinhardt, and Andrew Bohrer also spent time cropping and editing pictures. Middle School teachers Joseph Karb and Andrew Beiter and SGI webmaster/teacher Benjamin Higgins who transferred the digital stills into this interactive archive.

IMPORTANT DATES

1830

  • Academic School building built

1849

  • First person to graduate

1867

  • Name change from Academy to Griffith Institute
  • Addition to building, making three stories and bell tower
  • North and south district united

1885

  • Building was enlarged to twice its size

1889

  • Gaylord and Ultrich property purchased with a hotel on property. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade was moved there and the public library- called G-I Annex

1909

  • New school was opened at a cost of $75,000; Bell was rung for the last time

1918

  • First orchestra

1920

  • Parents’ night started – (PTA)

1930

  • Centennial celebration- old academy bell was brought out for celebration

1933

  • Organized football squad

1941

  • Central School added to name. 18 surrounding school districts united as one
  • 1st Board of Education formed (5 members)

1941-1953

  • An additional 15 rural districts were annexed to form a complete community school, one of the largest in the state

1952

  • Board of Education enlarged to 7 members
  • High School built and opened for students

1964

  • North Wing of high school built and opened for students

1965

  • South Wing of high school built and opened for students

1973

  • Name changed from Griffith Institute and Central School to Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District

1976

  • Middle School opened

2002

  • Addition added to high school