Protocol for Family and Staff Daily Health Checks
Families and staff members will be responsible for the careful observation of symptoms of COVID-19 and health screening that must be conducted each morning before coming to school. Families and school staff are instructed that any student or staff member with a fever of 100°F or greater and/or symptoms of possible COVID-19 virus infection should NOT be present in school. It is very important that our families take responsibility for observing their children in the morning before sending your child to the bus or to school.
Blackboard Connect Calls will be made on Sunday evening for the Purple Group and on Wednesday evening for the Gold Group to remind families to conduct daily screenings before coming to school.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) keep an up to date list of symptoms of Coronavirus on its website. This list is not all inclusive as some individuals may display other symptoms or none at all. As of 7/21/2020, the following are listed as the most common symptoms of COVID-19:
- Fever or chills (100°F or greater);
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Muscle or body aches;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- Sore throat;
- Congestion or runny nose;
- Nausea or vomiting; and/or
1. Students or staff with a temperature, signs of illness with no other explanation, and/or a positive response to the questionnaire who come to school must be sent directly to a dedicated isolation area where students are supervised, prior to being picked up or otherwise sent home. The school nurse may notify the school medical director or Erie County DOH if concerned that someone is presenting with covid related symptoms. Symptomatic students or staff who are sent home with COVID-19 related symptoms must have a doctor’s note, negative COVID-19 test results, symptom resolution or if positive, release from isolation from a medical doctor to return to school.
2. Instructions on correct hand and respiratory hygiene, social distancing of at least 6 feet and signage will be posted in every classroom, office and throughout the common areas.
Signage, based on the COVID-19 protocols, will be posted throughout our buildings and will include the following to remind individuals to:
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with an acceptable face covering when unable to maintain social distance from others, or in accordance with any stricter policy implemented by the school.
- Properly store and, when necessary, discard PPE.
- Adhere to social distancing instructions.
- Report symptoms of, or exposure to, COVID-19, to the school nurse.
- Follow hand hygiene and cleaning and disinfection guidelines.
- Follow respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette.
We will create a video for teachers to show students on how to properly wash their hands, use face coverings and practice social distancing. The video will also be posted on our website for our families. We will provide additional information and teaching, as necessary regarding how and why the virus is spread and what we can all do about it to stay healthy and safe. Each classroom will have extra face coverings and gloves available, face shields are also available in health offices if needed and we will keep a PPE cart in each hallway in the event that someone needs additional supplies while outside of the classroom.