At 2:30 today, the Erie County DOH and County Executive Mark Poloncarz made an announcement. They are limiting all PUBLIC gatherings of 50 or more people. We talked at length about the gathering of our school children and employees every day, which is certainly 50 or more, and the distinction was made that we should not have any school events that include 50 or more members of the PUBLIC joining us during or outside of the school day. Based on the Erie County DOH announcement:
- In person SES/CES Parent Teacher conferences for tomorrow are cancelled. Your child’s teacher(s) will contact you via phone and/or email tomorrow.
- We are immediately suspending all staff and student travel. I do not know for how long this will last, nor does anyone else at this time.
- We are immediately suspending all outside of the school day or during the school day PUBLIC gatherings—the upcoming 4-6 and 7-12 concerts, the SMS Night at the Museum, ECMEA Elem All County at Kleinhans Music Hall, the ECMEA Jr. High All County hosted at SMS, ECMEA Sr. High All County at UB, SES Open House/Art Show, SES/CES Elementary Music Recital, HS Orchestra at Kleinhans, and Bald for Bucks (no public involvement). All are cancelled/postponed. I KNOW how upsetting this will be to many of you.We will work to post video of our student performances on the school website. You will note that I have cancelled/postponed all events up until Spring break—at this point.
- Our athletic events that are prior to or during Spring break will be played without allowing spectators.
As of today, March 12, 2020, here’s what we do NOT yet know:
- How long will this last?
- Will schools close?
- If schools close, what about services for our students, free and reduced meals? Special education services? The 180-day requirement? NYS 3-8 testing? Regents exams?
- What about the budget vote? Graduation? Student trips in May? Again, we cannot know how long this will last.
I can promise you three things.
- I’ll stay completely up to date and informed.
- We’ll make the best decisions we can for our families and our employees.
- I’ll share information with you.